Reverb 10: Looking back on the first 10 days

Friday, December 10, 2010

What the heck was I thinking of when I signed up to Reverb 10? Actually, I know why I signed up for it. I wanted to set myself a writing/blogging challenge because I needed the stimulation. Howvever, I confess I misunderstood what Reverb 10 was all about, heheh. I thought it was going to be creative writing prompts, rather than the navel-gazing, self-searching kind. Couldn't have read the mission statement very well!

Day 10 and I'm already tired of talking about myself. I'm just not that interesting a subject. After a few days scratching my head over alien concepts, I started feeling inadequate, like I wasn't the kind of person who should be doing Reverb 10. It was nice to discover I wasn't alone. Reading other people's daily prompts, I found that while many apparently are finding the exercise inspirational, motivational, emotional and deeply fulfilling, there are others like myself struggling to get a grip on the prompts. Maybe we're the cynics, or something. Hi, guys!

One of the reasons I'm struggling is that I'm a deeply private person and some of the prompts would shove me out of my comfort zone if I really let myself go in answering them. I'm just not prepared to reveal that much of my personal life and emotions online. It's between me and my daimons, and that's not going to change. Besides, I'm not the kind of person that thrilling, life-changing events happen to, so it all gets rather dull and negative after a while - or maybe it was just a particularly dull and unpleasant year I'm looking back on because I swear I wasn't always such a dork.

But I'm determined to see the month through, even if it does my head in by the end of it. I'm obstinate like that sometimes. And in a perverse kind of way I am getting a kick out of it, and even if the mental stimulation wasn't what I thought it was going to be at least it's fired a few synapses. Plus I've made the acquaintance of a few simpatico and interesting people on the back of it, which is a damned fine thing *nods*.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe