Reverb 10: Dec 11: 11 Things

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Prompt: 11 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?

Here we go, in no particular order:

Regrets. I've had a few. But then again - I don't really want to drag them after me into the next year. I'm a bit to prone to wailing about lost opportunities, but It's time to move on past the what-ifs and if-onlys.

Apathy. Oh I can't be bothered. You know? It's all such a big deal. If I don't do anything about it, it will go away quietly. Will it heck as like! It'll still be hanging round my neck like an albatross in 2012 if I don't put a boot under its arse.

Debts. 'Nuff said. This one's a bit out of my control apart from the old adage about not being a borrower. I'm not reckless with what little I have, but neither am I super-duper at stretching it and I need to work on that this coming year.

Hankering after things I can't have. I'm like a kid with its snotty nose pressed up the sweetshop window sometimes. Why do I do this? I mean, I don't think I'm a particularly materialistic person, and most of my wants are pretty modest and within the means of someone earning a decent living wage (a Flip, not a Ferrari), so it's pretty pointless, right? I suppose this is what coveting thy neighbour's ass means.

Procrastination. This seems to crop up on many people's lists. How can that many procrastinators be wrong? I'll think about it another time.

Worrying. I worry a lot, which is something that may surprise people who don't know me as well as they think they do. I worry about the cats getting sick, climate change, finances and work (or lack of either), my friends, the quality or lack thereof of my writing... oi, I need to quit sweating the small stuff.

Stuff I've started and never finished. I've got too many projects I embarked upon with boundless enthusiasm and gay abandon and then set aside and forgot about entirely, I lack stamina and have the concentration span of a goldfish. If I make it through the whole Reverb 10 month, it will be a bloody miracle. I should force myself to finish one abandoned project before I can start anything new. However.. [see above, Procrastination]

Negativity. I'm certainly not a depressed or depressing (I hope) individual but I admit that if there's a down side, I'll notice it and worry about it (see above, Worrying) and drag it to your attention. And wallow in it and say "I told you so."

That's eight things and I've run out of inspiration now. So I'll make up the numbers with three things I am NOT planning to eliminate next year or any foreseeable time after: clutter, caffeine, chocolate.. Because I'm worth it. (Should I have added self-indulgence to my list, maybe?)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Subscribe