The Golden Rule

Sunday, February 03, 2008

When it comes to many things in life, including online communities, I've always been a firm believer in the old adage that what you get of out them, depends on how much you put into them. I still stand by that very firmly. In fact I was lecturing someone about it just the other day *rueful grin*.

However, I've also learnt pretty recently that - for me at least - something else is equally true: how much I put into something depends on how much I get out of it. I'm not talking material or tangible rewards, but simply 'feel-good factor' - I'm disinclined to put much effort into something that gives me poor or non-existent satisfaction in return. It's just amazing how long it's taken me to have this light-bulb moment considering that reciprocity is a basic human principle... *chuckles*

However, I suppose if I start refusing to feed the cats until they learn to grovel like poodles for my gratification, they'll just wait until I'm asleep then maliciously smother me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe