WHY can’t I have both?

Thursday, February 07, 2008

I try to do the right thing, I really do.

I'd like to think I'm an ethical shopper. I try to use local, seasonal produce. On the rare occasions I buy some dead animal for my long-suffering partner, I make sure it wasn't pumped with more steroids than an Olympic weightlifter and that its brief life was as comfortable and free as possible. If something is labelled 'Organic' I'll buy it even if it does cost twice as much as its unstickered unorganic counterpart, and likewise 'Fairtrade'.

However, today my ethics were yet again the undoing of me *sighs*. I only wanted a jar of decent instant coffee! How simple is that? As it turned out - not so simple at all. I had a choice of organic, or fairtrade. None of the brands on offer specified both. This threw me into a spin - did it mean the 'organic' ones had been produced using slave child labour for corporations that paid the farmers in peanuts, and the 'fairtrade' ones had been sprayed with DDT? Which would be worse? I just couldn't make the choice...

In the end I bought a tin of Clipper Fairtrade Organic Hot Chocolate.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe