Zen and the art of supermarket scanners

Monday, February 12, 2007

I admit I always thought scanning goods at supermarket checkouts was a real no-brainer job. Now I know that's not the case - there's an arcane art and science to it that gives me a whole new respect for those people that do it day-in, day-out for the minimum wage. The reason for this "St Paul on the Road to Damascus"-style revelation came when I was trying to buy a few bits at the local Tescos this lunchtime. Since I was in a hurry to get back to work, and didn't have much to buy, I headed confidently for one of the self-service checkouts rather than join the queues for the manned ones. It looked so simple! Swipe-and-go, right?

Fifteen flustered minutes later, with many shamefaced mumbles of apology to those waiting behind me, and with the help of a patient assistant who looked about 14, I admitted I wasn't a natural at scanning. I have to say though, that I wasn't the only one similarly confuzzled by this new-fangled technology - it was a comfort to see that each self-service point was diligently staffed by a 'helper', and every single person I saw use it required help in some way. So what's the point of them? They were no quicker for the customer with a few items than the manned express checkouts, and since each was manned it doesn't save the supermarket on staffing costs. Sometimes, retail just baffles me.

Next time I'm joining the queue to be served by a real checkout operator. If I can attract their attention away from chatting to their mate on the next desk about last night's amorous escapades, that is...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe