Reverb 10: Dec 31: Core story

Friday, December 31, 2010

Prompt: Core story. What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.)

At the core of me is a survival story. Despite what last year threw at me and dragged me though, I'm not a victim, not a failure, not a has-been. I'm still standing and still strong, still quietly walking towards the future with my eyes on the event horizon. I don't share my story with the world because it's something internal and personal and what does the world care anyway.

When I consider my responses to the prompts this month, both those written and those silently contemplated, I find a general lack of respect for trite or flimsy buzzspeak and a mile-wide streak of cynicism. I don't think that's a bad thing. Cynicism isn't necessarily a negative trait; it's the inevitable result of walking through the world with open eyes and mind. Nor is it unexpected that I find it threaded through my reflections; years ago one of my first lovers told me that for a romantic idealist, I was awfully cynical.

I'm just glad to have got to end of Reverb 10, and completed it with my sanity and sense of humour intact. I can start analysing whether I achieved anything from it beyond the miracle of completion in itself once the initial heady rush has subsided. A post mortem of the experience will no doubt follow later.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe