Reverb 10: Dec 2: Writing

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Prompt: Writing. What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?


The obvious answer would be work, which is a non-creative financial necessity that I can't eliminate if the cats and I require a roof over our heads and kibble. But after I thought about it for a moment, I realised even work contributes a wee dribble to my writing. None of my characters have even been in the same line of work as myself (can't imagine anything more boring to write, or read) but even tiny little elements drawn from one's mundane working life and experience - observations, ideas gleaned from idle conversations, that kind of thing - do sneak in.

So what else do I do that doesn't contribute to my writing? Eat? Yes, I've often thought about how much time we spend on cooking and eating and what else we could be doing with that time if our bodies didn't need this complex fuelling system!

Seriously, the thing I do daily that is least productive is procrastinate. I love 'having written' more than I like 'am writing'. I'm lazy and not a good self-motivator, and if it weren't for the gentle and patient support of a wonderful co-writer I probably would spend all my time woolgathering and never get around to writing at all. Look at me now - I'm sitting here writing about writing rather than doing it!.

Can I eliminate my procrastination habit? Maybe tomorrow.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Subscribe