Spring resurgence

Friday, May 16, 2014

Working for a cantankerous 83-year-old with the temper and logic of a spoiled toddler frays the nerves, but I've learned over the last few years that you just have to try and bite your tongue and suck it up if you want a pay cheque at the end of the month. It's not like employment opportunities are exactly hammering on the door at the moment, or look likely to in the foreseeable future. I just keep reminding myself that I do it to pay for the things I love in my own time and a roof over my head. But when I think of time ticking away and all the unproductive, unrewarding hours and days lost to this petty tyranny that I can never get back, never reclaim for myself, it's hard not to feel resentful sometimes.

But I don't want to re-start my blog with bitching and moaning! I'm just superstitious enough to suspect such a downbeat start would bode poorly for it! So, to lift mood a little, here's some things that I'm taking a lot of pleasure in at the moment:

- Reading. I'm about a third of the way through Douglas Hulick's Sworn in Steel, the second of his Tales of the Kin series, I read the first one a couple of years and loved it, and had been looking forward to the second book coming out. And I'm pleased to say, I'm not disappointed - our feckless rogue of a hero, Drothe, is as charming and misfortune-prone as ever, and I do enjoy the world he inhabits. So, good stuff. And there's some other much-anticipated sequels due out over the summer so my inner bookworm is squirming with happiness.

- Craft things. I haz a box of brand-new crystalline watercolours to play with! And multimedia ideas galore.

- Sunshine! It's a glorious sunny day out there and when I've finished my coffee I'm going to take myself off for a stroll down the lanes, which at the moment are bordered with rich greens topped by the white froth of cow parsley. May is definitely my favourite month, tra la.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe