British English v. American English

Thursday, June 11, 2009

This is a topic I've found relevant to myself while writing at Panhistoria and Panerotica with their predominantly American population - we Brits often seem to speak a different language. :)

Although British English and American English are technically the same language, there are substantial differences both in spoken and written forms. We're not talking just about spelling either - but also vocabulary, phraseology and grammar.

For example, the same sentence as rendered in correct American and then British English:

US: I don't have a car and I just burned my truck while I was visiting with a friend.
UK: I haven't got a car and I've just burnt my lorry while I was visiting a friend.

(Okay, it's a surreal scenario, but you get the idea...)

An American editor cannot accurately proofread a piece of writing that uses British English (and vice versa) unless they have a full and confident understanding of the differences. Reputable schools that teach English as a second language recognise the differences and usually specify if they teach American or British English. And of course, Canadian and Australian English are different again, and there are many more variations... :)

It's important to remember when reading with an eye to critique a piece of writing that what might seem weird or unacceptable phraseology to an American editor might be perfectly correct to a British one (and again, vice versa). In the example given above, each would have rejected the other's version, but both were correct. Neither version of English is 'better' than the other; the important thing here I think is consistency! Don't mix and match.

The links below are to some useful articles that summarise the main differences between American and British English and the pitfalls to watch out for.

Originally posted at Panhistoria 08-10-04

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Subscribe