Digging for.... Something

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Despite the fact we've had cool temperatures and strong winds for the last couple of weeks, after an early unseasonably warm and sunny spell before that, the fruit and veg I'm growing in pots in my back yard (for lack of space elsewhere) aren't looking too badly at all.

My borlotti beans were attacked by Mutant Killer Slugs From Hell who nibbled the tops off, but fortunately the beans haven't thrown in the towel and are doggedly growing again (this time protected by Jerry's Slug PubTM filled with cheap beer - at least the buggers should die happy).

The strawberries and new herbs (common and melon sage, thyme, marjoram and flat-leaf parsley) are looking cheerful and determined, but my tomato plant is looking undecided about its chances of success. It doesn't like the constant temperature changes from day to day, and it really doesn't like being buffeted by the wind. I'm hoping it will perk up when and if the weather warms up a bit.

The potatoes are romping away in their little green gro-sacks, but the early harvest varieties are half the size of their late harvest brethren. Hmmm. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I mixed the tubers up when I planted 'em? Seed potatoes all look the same to me. I don't suppose it matters!

The fruit bushes - two self-pollinating blueberries, a gooseberry and a goji berry/wolfberry - are also settling in well, but since they are still quite small and young, I'm not expecting much in the way of a yield from them this year. Next year, I'd like to add a redcurrant or whitecurrant bush - I didn't think they could be grown in containers but I've since heard they can do very well.

I'm beginning to feel like one of those wartime Dig for Victory adverts....

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe