The loneliness of the long-distance runner and collaborative fiction writer

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I am not ambitious, and not a person who thrives in a competitive environment. Never being one to want to grab attention to myself (too shy), and not as self-assured about my fabulousness as some, I tend to prefer relaxed milieux where I don't feel the pressure to join in the clamour for kudos or shout to be heard. Yes, I am aware that refusing to participate in the scrimmage is a form of arrogance in itself maybe, but heck, you can’t avoid all ironies in life!

Just as this applies to my working life, it’s also one of the reasons I tend to chose non-competitive leisure activities too I suspect. The only sport I was good at and reluctantly competed in was long-distance cross-country running – definitely not a glamorous or spectator sport, no cheering crowds on the sidelines or squealing fans outside the clubhouse! I don’t run any more – I hike, and I am one of those people who hike just for the pleasure of the beautiful woods and moors, the wind in my hair and the sun on my face (even if that is a rare occurrence!) and the company of a like-minded companion to share the experience with. I despise those self-righteous hikers I frequently encounter on route who boast about their 30-miles-a-day habit and expect me to swoon in admiration at their astonishing superiority. Pricks need to get a goddamned life more like, is what I think! *chuckles*

Creative writing (either solo or collaborative) can be competitive too. Some writers thrive on the competition, either because it genuinely fires their enthusiasm and encourages them to produce the best they can, or because they just like to grab up some praise and awards. It will come as no surprise I’m sure that it has an opposite effect on me *chuckles*. I don’t think I am a very good creative writer - a middling role-play hack at best – and I tend to withdraw from the front lines when the environment becomes more about one-upmanship and attention-seeking than self-expression and interaction. I am quietly appreciative of any unsolicited support and feedback, but I have no ambition to write a great novel or get published, and no false opinion of my own worth– I write happily for the pleasure of creating something from my imagination and of playing make-believe with a companion.

Today's quotation for the day over at Panerotica is, "There are three reasons for becoming a writer: the first is that you need the money; the second that you have something to say that you think the world should know; the third is that you can't think what to do with the long winter evenings." (Quentin Crisp).

I would add a fourth reason: "Collaberative writing is the most fun you can have with someone you've never got naked in fleshspace."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe